Sunday, May 24, 2009

Allowing Yourself to Date Again

Good evening,

This weekend was Memorial weekend and I really enjoyed myself. Thank you God for your continued mercies and opportunities. On Friday I just woke up and talked with God. Our conversation revolved around the usual-dating. I came to the realization that even though I am complaining that no guys approach me these days; I had to face the fact that I just do not make myself available. I finally understood that these are my days to date and get to know how different guys treat girls. However, the key is to still remain abstinate. I truly said that I would be open to opportunities that presented themselves.

Little did I know that God was already working out a plan. (I don't know why I don't just stand on God's word and believe-instead I constantly doubt His word thinking that they are my own thoughts). I took my car into the dealership for a routine oil change and 2 hours later I was having lunch with a really nice guy.....

I pulled into the dealership and the attendant noticed the flag on my dashboard and started small talk about my country. Afterwards, while I waited for my car he introduced me to his co-worker from Ghana and we continued talking. His Ghanaian friend said he had a lot of friends from my country. We talked for about an hour and during that conversation the Ghanian guy suddenly passed his phone to me saying that I should say hi to his friend from my country. I spoke to the guy and we exchanged pleasantries. He asked how much longer I would be at the dealership and I told him about another hour since the mechanic found other things I needed changed on my car. To my surprise he said he would pass through the dealership to say hi.

Now for all those that know me -know that I was panicking and already "overthinking" the whole situation. However, this time I said I would just see how things played themselves out. Low and behold about 20 minutes later, I met him. I'll call him "S". Being honest my first thoughts were wow he's shorter than me and not that attractive but I still decided to give the guy the benefit of the doubt; thinking the usual will happen- we will talk for a little bit, exchange numbers and I probably won't call him-but I will make an acquaintance.

"S" probably knew my thoughts because he then said he would like to take me to lunch right then and there. Smart move I thought and I was hungry so what the heck. We waited for a few more minutes for my car then I followed behind him to go to a nearby restaurant. We had a nice lunch-it was so spontaneous and so unlike me. "S" was really nice, thoughtful and caring. It was nice to meet a serious guy through his introductions was basically telling me what he wants next in life- a wife. Afterwards, we said the usual good byes.

In the afternoon, he called me three times and left two text messages??? Is he a stalker or just very caring? I also had to ask myself these questions: Am I ready to be in a committed relationship? Am I ready to get married or do I just like to talk about it? Do my actions contradict my speech pattern? Do I purposefully go after guys that I know are not ready to commit just to validate my opinions and thoughts? Here is a guy that seems straightforward I am ready to run for the hills??????

A little digration; that evening I was invited to go to a friend's birthday part at a lounge in downtown. The prior Sunday I had asked B to come with me but during the week he said he would be out of town. I then asked one of my other friends to go with me. The night of the party she called me and said something came up. At that point it was too late to call anyone else so I had to go alone-things always work out for the good.

I met my friend and all her other friends- we had a lot of fun. I danced in heels till the "wee" hours of the morning- I am not wearing anymore heels for the remainder of the weekend-thats how bad it was (LOL). There were a couple of interesting guys there. One does IT in the VA area and the other was just a guy that had a British accent (it gets me all the time). In addition, to these two, my ex-boyfriend was also was also there-boy was I glad I was looking good. I just waved and said a quick "hi". When I got home that morning, my ex called me-it was as if we had spoken the day before-not a year ago. We'll c...............................................

As you can see I had an eventful weekend. Now I just pray that God continues to allow me to be open to opportunities that come my way, grant me wisdom and discernment, help me determine exactly what I want in a spouse, go with the flow and just enjoy life; I only have one life on this earth and I want it to be a life without regret.

Amen and here is to the remainder of 2009 :)

No comments: